Dow Jones & Co
When you join Dow Jones, you become part of the most dynamic, creative and savvy news and information companies in the world. As a global leader in news and business intelligence, we're newswires, websites, newspapers, apps, newsletters, databases, magazines, radio and television--including some of the widest-read and most-respected brands, like The Wall Street Journal, Barron's, MarketWatch and DJX, our flagship news and analytics platform. Our media inform the discussions and decisions that are vital to the world's commerce, while our databases make the business world more transparent. We continually develop technology to transform information into insight and prosperity. From over 50 countries and in over a dozen languages, we enlighten and inspire audiences with authoritative, differentiated and trusted content.
jobsDB Ref. JHK100003004780633
We are now seeking a high caliber candidate to fill the following vacancy in Hong Kong.
Our mobile engineering team is responsible for Dow Jones mobile apps including the Wall Street Journal, Barron's, and Factiva applications. Our goal is to deliver content promptly and reliably as we experiment with new storytelling technologies. We rank 11 out of 12 on the Joel Test (http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000043.html).
We are known for having the world’s best journalists and most expansive set of content. We are looking for versatile Android Engineers to join our team and become part of our evolving technology department. This is an opportunity to act as change agents and create a 21st century product development team around our content. Like everyone else in our organization you will be empowered to own your set of products. You will engage and collaborate with key stakeholders in creating and executing a vision, as well as supporting the results.
As a mobile engineer, you'll be part of a small agile team that will build a suite of libraries and apps that will raise the bar for mobile journalism. You won't just be building single-purpose brick-and-mortar apps, you'll be crafting polished digital experiences.
- Work closely with product and design to help us build a suite of apps for Android
- Strong programming and engineering abilities and experience with Java and the Android SDK
- Communicating effectively with your team, both by using natural language and by writing clear and concise code
- Being ruthlessly pragmatic about what gets built and how it gets built, without compromising on quality (quality is a feature)!
- Take ownership and being responsible for some of the many projects we'll be building in the coming year
- Formal Computer Science education (B.S. or M.S.) or equivalent experience
- Public technical writing of any kind (personal blog, articles, etc) a plus
- Experience with design and implementation of complex business applications in a team environment
- Individual must be independent and not require a lot of direction. This person should be able to jump in and hit the ground running. They should have a good, positive, fun attitude.
- Individual should be able to articulate and creative.
- Individual should have solid development life cycle experience.
- Candidates should be prepared to provide code samples and demonstrate applications they have worked on.
- 2+ years’ experience in Android development
- Strong Java skills
- Familiarity with Java 8.0 a plus
- Able to work in a rapid and agile development environment with frequent deliveries.
- Proficiency with client-server architectures, efficient local data storage, caching mechanisms, Services and background tasks
- Experience with editorial layouts and managing complex data schemes a plus
- Fluency with Object-Oriented and MVC programming models
- Fluency with multi-threaded programming styles and approaches
- An understanding of relational database schema design, queries, and optimization techniques
- At least one published app in the Google Play Store
Dow Jones offers an opportunity to work for one of the world's leading financial and business news companies. We invite interested candidates to submit a cover letter and detailed resume, current and expected salary via: