Assistant Actuarial Manager / Actuarial Manager, CALM, Regional Actuarial Services
jobsDB ref: JHK100003004998670
Employer Ref. 1700711
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
The Asia CALM Shared Services Centre (SSC) is Manulife Asia’s regional hub for production and analysis of actuarial asset-liability modeling results. We provide professional, accurate and timely modeling services that support key financial reporting and management decisions – including but not limited to Canadian and Asian local bases financial / regulatory reporting and capital / solvency testing, sensitivity analyses and risk monitoring, as well as par and asset-liability management – for 9 business units of life insurance operations in Asia.
Reporting directly to the Head of Asia CALM SSC and Asia CALM Actuary, the Manager will assume a leadership role over a small group of professional modelers to produce, analyze, deliver and communicate asset-liability modeling results under the Canadian Asset Liability Method (CALM) and other regimes to designated business unit(s) (“BU(s)”). The incumbent will serve as the BU service manager, and work with the BU Chief / Valuation Actuary closely to resolve financial / business issues. The incumbent will work with people at all levels of the organization (various teams of actuarial or otherwise in the Group Head Office, Asia Regional Office and BUs) and manage often conflicting stakeholder priorities. Besides, this Manager will gain exposure to both the divisional valuation big-picture and hands-on production process design, through assisting respectively in the oversight and optimization of CALM and related activities for the entire Asia Division.
- Lead a small group of modelers to produce, deliver and communicate to designated Asia business units quality and well-controlled results from asset liability models, satisfying internal and external valuation and control / audit requirements.
- Serve as business unit partner to provide support on all asset modeling related services, and explain key results to support decisions for business growth or regulatory / reporting requirements.
- Assist in the oversight of CALM and related activities in all Asia business units to ensure timely delivery of quality and controlled results to Group office and Asia management to support business growth and regulatory requirements.
- Contribute and implement ideas on standardizing and streamlining the results production processes for continuous improvement; design new processes and modeling work tools as necessary.
- Provide training to internal clients in Asia in understanding results from the service center.
- Undertake ad-hoc investigations to support any of the above functions.
- Completion or close to full attainment of professional actuarial qualifications such as FSA, FIA, FIAA, FCIA or equivalent.
- Minimum 4 years' relevant experience in the life insurance industry or actuarial consultant industry; candidates with more experience could be considered for Manager positions.
- Supervisory experience would be an advantage.
- Solid actuarial knowledge. Experience in CALM / Canadian IFRS reporting / asset modeling / asset liability management an advantage.
- A team player with strong communication skills to work across multiple internal clients.
- Problem solving and analytical skills required; project management and organizational skills preferred.
- Good command of spoken and written English. Chinese, Mandarin or other Asian language is a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word and Powerpoint; Experience in AXIS is an advantage.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group providing forward-thinking solutions to help people with their big financial decisions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States, and Manulife elsewhere. We provide financial advice, insurance and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2014, we had 28,000 employees, 58,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving 20 million customers. At the end of June 2015, we had $883 billion (US$708 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made more than $22 billion in benefits, interest and other payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong. Follow Manulife on Twitter @ManulifeNews or visit www.manulife.com or www.johnhancock.com.
About Manulife Financial
See Job Description