Standard Chartered is a leading international banking group operating for over 150 years in Asia, Africa and the Middle East. We’ve built a successful and sustainable business by playing a fundamental role in economies, helping people and businesses grow and achieve their aspirations. With over 89,000 employees representing 127 nationalities, we value the diversity and unique perspectives amongst our people. We are committed to developing their strengths and enabling them to make a difference to our success by helping them fulfil their potential.
Director, Insurance, Financial Institutions
jobsDB Ref. JHK100003004916106
Employer Ref. 534712
The job holder for this role will be:
- Relationship Manager for top tier local and global insurance companies, covering their HK head office / regional offices serving their footprint in Asia.
- Originates, and mobilise product partners to deliver solutions and products that fit client’s buying needs.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Act as a trusted advisor to clients and responsible for originating revenue and accepting client risk from a regulatory perspective:
- Accountable for overall client revenues, budget and cross sell / origination
- Provide Client Leadership and be perceived as a thought leader by senior client executives. Facilitates the development of a vision for the overall success of the business
- Originate revenue pipelines:
- Deepen existing relationships and up tier SCB’s profile with target client segment
- Develop a strong understanding of the industry and client’s business, strategies, buying centers, decision making levels and processes.
- Identify client needs and align internal resources in line with Bank’s strategy and risk appetite.
- Lead preparation of the sales pitches to the Client
- Lead any new internal initiatives pertaining to business development
- Steer the global client relationship through Account Planning; engage strategic client conversations to originate new business and retain existing business
- Ensure execution against client strategy (Account Plan), proactive pipeline management, client calling plans, requests for deal approvals etc.
- Identify, mobilize and deliver into the relationship the right people, solutions, resources, and ideas from across the Bank
- Accountable for overall credit accountability and credit management, as well as RWA & RoRWA
- Accountable for client team coordination across the network; coaching and mentoring with a robust handover to local RMs where there are active buying centres
- Manage significant escalations, major issues and bank related matters
- Engage and coordinate with respective product partners, network Field Account Managers (FAMs) / Regional Account Managers (RAMs), risk and senior management for marketing efforts and cross-sell.
- Identify prospects and convert to clients in line with Banks’ policies and procedures.
- Work closely with CA, product partners, GAM/FAM and analyze (a) wallet size (b) appropriateness of the product and (c) comprehensive account plan.
- Spearhead account strategy process for each client by involving all relevant internal stakeholders:
- Conduct ‘deep dive sessions’ on required clients (eg Platinum; credit limits >$1b)
- Work with the product partners to maximize cross-sell and returns on risk weighted assets.
- Review Failed Trade status, EAR, ASTAR and other portfolio metrics to ensure discipline and quality in portfolio
- Communicate relevant approved strategy for each client to all relevant internal stakeholders
- Review client profitability data for clients.
- Hold tough conversations with client on account strategy/wallet sizing/transactions/pricing issues
- Identify clients that need to be classified as Early Alert with Credit and/or transferred to GSAM
- Lead the effort in amending the account Strategy if a critical credit related issue arises.
- Implement rigorous sales discipline for the portfolio:
- Effective calling plan, including training calls for team members
- Senior engagement
- Weekly pipeline tracking
- Well documented and timely call report
- Well structured account plan for top relationships
- Proactively monitor AML and KYC/CDD risks by implementing the Bank’s anti-money-laundering procedures including rectification new clients and transaction monitoring
People and Talent
- Develop and retain Jr Bankers and Client Managers within team
- Identify potential Bankers / Sr. Bankers and help them acquire the necessary skills to lead client relationships; provide client introductions where appropriate
- Accountable for KYC / AML signoff and client relationship
- Accountable for the credit quality of the assigned/acquired portfolio
- Liaise with Legal/external counsel/Credit Risk Control in preparation and execution of non standard complex transactions along with product partners
Regulatory & Business conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor degree in Banking or Finance, preferred
- Deep product experience (FM, M&A, CM, Lev Fin, TB, Treasury/Finance)
- Knowledge of Asia, Africa & the Middle East markets
- Industry Expert (Peers, trends, regulations, new technology drivers)
- Balance Sheet Management Expertise
- Strong Financial Literacy (credit, accounting, finance)
- Recognized Industry Leader
- Deep credibility as value added banking partner, capable of driving strategic client conversations; conversion to new origination and maintaining existing business
- Capable of identifying opportunities, delivering sustainably whilst achieving desired end results
How To Apply
Everything that matters to you in your career and in life, matters to us. Join us as a Relationship Manager and we’ll support you to get where you want to go, and to be more of the person you aspire to be.
You can search and view current opportunities across our organisation and apply immediately by registering or logging in to our careers website www.standardchartered.com/bemore. To help speed up your application, please note the following:
- You will need to log in (or register if you are visiting our careers site for the first time) before you can apply for a specific role
- Some roles may require you to undertake an online talent assessment in addition to completing the application form (to facilitate this process it is preferable that you provide us with an email address as part of your contact information)
- We will ask you about your education, career history and skills and experience, it may be helpful to have this information at hand when completing your application
It usually takes 15 - 20 minutes to complete the application form; you can save your application at any time and return to complete it at your convenience.
Third Party Applications
Please note: Applications from third parties are not accepted unless by invitation.
Diversity and Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Standard Chartered is an equal opportunity employer. We have a meritocratic culture where each individual employee is valued and respected for who they are as a person and for what they bring to the organisation.