Allied World Assurance Company Holdings, AG, through its subsidiaries and brand known as Allied World, is a global provider of innovative property, casualty and specialty insurance and reinsurance solutions offering superior client service through a global network of offices and branches. All of Allied World's rated insurance and reinsurance subsidiaries are rated A by A.M. Best Company, A by Standard & Poor's, and A2 by Moody's, and our Lloyd's Syndicate 2232 is rated A by Standard & Poor's and AA- by Fitch. Headquartered in Switzerland, and with over 20 offices across North America, Europe and Asia-Pacific, Allied World strives to provide exceptional service and convenience to our clients and distribution partners. We have over 1,400 employees globally, all of whom are focused on providing superior customer service and creative risk solutions, building long-term, mutually beneficial relationships. Allied World is an Equal Opportunities Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to an individual’s race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, genetic information, or disability status. Please visit www.awac.com for further information on Allied World.
Senior Underwriter, General Casualty
jobsDB Ref. JHK100003004836941
This position is responsible for underwriting a complex book of General Casualty business. The position will require the employee utilizing the methods necessary to meet projected profitability, gross written premium, and expense goals, implementing proper underwriting disciplines/guidelines, and marketing and servicing to existing and potential clients. The position will also require the administration and monitoring of underwriting rules and guidelines, insurance laws and regulations, and rating rules and models.
In addition, the employee will be required to provide technical guidance, assistance and training to lower level associates.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Execute approved General Casualty business plan to establish and develop balanced and diverse book of business in accordance with underwriting guidelines.
- Set appropriate terms and conditions following the Company’s business strategy to quote selected risks.
- Exercise proper underwriting pricing and discipline to meet profitability goals, comply with underwriting guidelines, systems and procedures.
- Mentor junior underwriting staff which includes, but is not limited to, training and development
- Maintain underwriting files in an orderly manner and in accordance with underwriting guidelines, including maintenance of all reporting systems for submissions and bound accounts, rate change modelling, bound account listing, submission log and reports as may be developed.
- Conduct pre-quote and mid-term underwriting audits as needed.
- Expand existing portfolio of business by developing existing relationships and new prospective clients.
- Interact with existing and prospective clients, brokers, re-insurers and other business partners in support of the business.
- Liaise with brokers, internal auditors, Claims, Actuarial, Accounting, IT and Legal departments as appropriate.
- Business travel on a regular basis to areas in North Asia may be required.
Knowledge, skills and abilities requirement
- College degree required.
- Minimum 5-7 years of underwriting experience in the Commercial Insurance sector in areas including but not limited to public and products liability, employees’ compensation, and general property.
- The candidate needs to have strong fundamentals in underwriting principles, pricing, and knowledge of policy wordings.
- The ideal candidate will have strong connections in the market with intermediaries.
- A self-starter, who can work independently while also being able to work in conjunction with other functional departments, will be looked upon favorably.
Candidate with less experience will be considered as Underwriter