A resume (or Curriculum Vitae) is the first step to present yourself to a potential employer. It opens the door to a job interview. Thus, it is very important that you summarize all the relevant qualifications, experiences, skills and achievements in your resume.
However, a good resume does not necessarily record all the information. A resume with 1 to 2 pages is more than enough.
Bear in mind, thousands of resumes are received by an employer everyday. He or she might only have thirty seconds or so to browse your resume. How to excel yourself within the limited time becomes a key issue. It is unwise to pour every little detail into your resume as if it is a track record of your life!
What should be included in the resume?
- Personal Details
- Your Full Name
- Contact no (preferably mobile no.)
- Career Objective: A well-defined career objective helps the employer to relate your working experiences, qualifications to the applied job.
- Photo It is optional. Shall it be included, please make sure that you are formally dressed.
- Educational background
- Employment History
- Extra-curricular activities
- Date of availability
Increase your chances of getting hired. Create a jobsDB profile
Increase your chances of getting hired. Update your jobsDB profile
Style and Format of Resume
- Tailor-make your resume for the applied position, instead of using the same resume all the times.
- Arrange your qualifications, past experiences and etc in a reverse chronological order.
- State your achievements with facts, do not exaggerate.
- Begin sentence with action words. Avoid using personal pronouns like “I”.
- Do not include all the attended courses and grades into the resume, but those relevant or with distinguished results.
- Organize the resume in a neat and tidy manner; highlight your attractions with headings, indentations.
- Use simple English and be concise, never write in casual or fancy tone.
- Make sure that your resume has been proofread with no typing, spelling mistakes.
- Try not to write more than 2 pages.
- Use of action words It is essential to use action words to market your skills in resumes for it transforms your accomplishments in a more dynamic and readable manner.