Accountant is a crucial and dynamic role, in any organization, with a wide range of responsibilities. The primary role of accountants is to ensure the financial health of a company. They are employed by organisations or private clients to audit accounts, provide financial advice and undertake accounts administration.
They are entrusted with managing and reporting of the financial information for an organisation. In a small organisation, all accountancy tasks may be performed by a single accountant. However, in large organisations, different tasks pertaining to financial and management accounting are assigned to various accountants. The key skills for a role of accountant include high level of numeracy, attention to detail, strong analytical skills, methodical approach and problem-solving skills.
Accountants are typically hired by private firms of accountants, professional services firms, industrial organisations, charities & not for profit organisations, commercial & corporate organisations, governmental bodies, as well as the public sector.
In an Accountant’s resume summary statement, it is pertinent to include professional qualifications including specific accounting certifications in addition to years of working experience. Briefly mention about the soft skills like detail orientation, analytical abilities, good communication and interpersonal skills. It is helpful to use the key words from the position job description by the employer.
A qualified and result oriented CPA with about 9 years of accounting experience in Real Estate, IT and Telecom industries. A self-motivated and detail oriented professional with strong communication skills and the ability to perform under pressure and handle deadlines.
– Emphasize on essential points in Work Experience
– List your work experience and education credentials in reverse chronological order, starting with your most recent jobs. Always customize your resume to align with the job description, if you are applying for different positions. Remove any experience or skills that are not relevant to the position.
– Highlight details that show the extent of your accomplishments. Focus on how you have made or saved the company money and list it in your achievements section indicating numeric data that adds value to your profile. For example: successfully managed a portfolio of 40 clients resulting in an increase in annual turnover by $10 million; reduced debtors by 15%, increased processing speed by 20% through implementation of new software etc.
– Add substantial awards won like employee of the month or highest performer award in your resume to prove your potential value to the hiring manager.
– Multi-tasking, managing deadlines and ability to perform under pressure are highly sought after skills in financial professionals. Wherever possible, share details of projects you have handled demonstrating these abilities in your achievements.
Chief Accountant – MNC Real Estate Group
April 2015 – present
Accountant – XYZ Tel & Technology Group
July 2010 – March 2015
Accounting positions require professional certification. In Hong Kong there is the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants. There are also many recognised international accounting bodies. A degree, however not often mandatory, is favoured in an accountancy career. A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Studies, Economics, and Management is generally preferred. Encompass any relevant educational experience such as degrees, diplomas, and certificates you have obtained.
CPA, The Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (2007 – 2010) Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and Finance
In your resume, include the key skills you possess that are relevant to the position. Highlight any important achievements you have had as an accountant using those skills.
Now a days, most organisations use accounting software programs to accurately record financial transactions. The majority of finance functions use IT software programs and require hands-on experience in Word and Excel. In addition, familiarity with a recognised accounting software/ERP is an added advantage, so try and show this where possible in an IT skills section.