Position Summary- Administrative Assistant
Administrative or Admin Assistants provide general office management support to an organisation. They require strong clerical skills as they assist with routine office tasks including answering phones, taking memos, sending faxes, filing documents, preparing presentation material, data entry, and bookkeeping etc. They are also responsible for scheduling and organising appointments, meetings and travel in addition to handling correspondence, greeting clients and visitors.
Admin Assistants may need to use spreadsheets to record expenses and other financial transaction. Therefore, they need to be familiar with MS Office and other office bookkeeping software. Since their job also involves planning, scheduling and organizing board meetings and other events, they are required to check the availability of participants and research for vendor prices to compare and shortlist. Additionally, they also manage inventory of assets and supplies, source for suppliers, and submit invoices.
Administrative Assistants typically assist with clerical duties in most industries. However, there may be some specialization required in industries like legal and medical. Admin assistants in these fields are required to have extensive professional knowledge as they need to be familiar with the terminology and procedures. For this reason, sometimes they are also referred as Administrative Support Specialists.
Tips To Write CV or Resume For The Position
Below are some tips for writing a CV or resume of Administrative Assistant
- In your summary statement – 2 to 4 lines in the beginning of your resume- If you use the key words and phrases from the job description, it will enhance the chance of your resume getting shortlisted. because most companies use software programs to screen resumes. In addition to one or two quantified achievements, include some required key skills you possess such as detail oriented, well organized, team player, ability to multi task, technical, interpersonal, and communication skills etc.
A highly resourceful and detail oriented Administrative Assistant with 6 years of experience. Provided support to several senior executives. Reduced office supplies expenditure by 25% through negotiation, recycling and taking initiative towards paperless environment. Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills. Proficient in MS Office- MS Excel and MS PowerPoint, in particular. Fluent in English and Cantonese.
Emphasize on essential points in Work Experience
- Carefully read the job description and make a note of some skills and personality traits that the hiring organisation is looking for in a potential candidate. Keep them in mind while writing your achievements in points to show how you possess them.
- Companies seek professionals who are self-motivated and take initiative. Ensure that you add some specific quantified achievements that made you stand out. For instance, instead of writing “oversaw the expense for the branch”. It would be more impactful to write, “Efficiently managed annual expense budget for the branch resulting in annual cost reduction by HKD 30,000.”
- Focus on how you kept yourself and the office organized as organisation skills are crucial for this role. This may include systematically organizing Board meetings, team schedules, events, travel and files.
- Highlight and give examples of your ability to anticipate what needs to be done and how you have prioritized tasks independently with minimum or no supervision.
ABC Pvt Ltd, Hong Kong
Administrative Assistant, August, 2017 – February, 2019
XYZ Corporation, Hong Kong
Administrative Assistant, May, 2014 – July, 2017
OPQ Financial Services Ltd., Hong Kong
Administrative Assistant, January, 2013 – April, 2014
- Employers look for combination of skills for the role of Administrative Assistant. They are expected to be detail oriented, well-organized, courteous, discrete, customer focused with positive and can-do attitude.
- Problem-solving and critical thinking along with the ability to multi-task are some of the crucial skills to successfully perform this role. The role also requires strong technical, interpersonal and communication skills. Do add the key skills required for the position in your document.
- Technological skills are highly sought after skills in Admin Assistants as they are necessary to perform data entry, manage team calendars, and create company reports. It is essential to be hands-on in MS Office software to be successful in this role. In this section, share information about your proficiency in MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint, in particular as well as in other relevant software.
- In this section, list your education including Associate or High School degree/diploma; it will be a plus if you have any additional formal education as an Administrative assistant or Secretary.