Position Summary- Exhibition & Event Project Assistant/Officer
Exhibition and Events Project management is a fast-paced industry that requires great attention to detail and management of various coexisting responsibilities and individuals. As an event project assistant, you will be learning many components of event planning. Assistants to exhibition and events planners perform a range of tasks including routine office tasks, ad hoc duties as required by their supervisors, and interacting with high-profile people. They orchestrate a gamut of events making sure that the target audience is engaged and the idea of the event is aptly promoted. Exhibition and Events play a huge part in the success of a brand or an organisation.
There are some specialized organisations that plan and execute events, particularly large-scale productions like music and art festivals, concerts, weddings, and charity functions. Training companies and Public relations agencies also employ event planners to host training programs and special events respectively. As an assistant, you may be responsible for organizing and managing large number of volunteers for music festivals or charity events. Exhibition Project Assistants can work directly for an art gallery, museum or a fine art shipping company where they will be required to follow instructions from the museum or gallery.
The role involves assisting with organising conferences, seminars, exhibitions, parties and corporate incentive trips. The responsibilities include arranging logistics for the events and preparing event presentation materials; Providing on-site support such as setting-up venue, greeting guests etc; ensuring smooth running of each event and exhibition; liaising with internal and external parties including management, sales team, and global coordinators; review the event and preparing post event report and analysis as required. They also meet with clients, source vendors, plan the budget, look for a suitable venue, negotiate prices, finalize delivery schedules and review contracts among others. Administrative skills such as organizing, filing, scheduling appointments, and calendar management are needed to efficiently perform this role.
To grow in the role, Assistants need to be proactive and take initiative to work independently with minimal instructions, in addition to efficiently performing the assigned tasks by their managers.
Tips To Write CV For The Position
Below are some tips for writing a CV of Exhibition & Event Project Assistant/Officer
- In your summary statement, tell the employer what you bring to the table and why they should hire you over other applicants by listing your major professional achievements, preferably numeric achievement. Write one or two of your strong attributes that match with the job description like strong negotiation skills, attention to detail, ability to work under pressure etc. mention if you have any important certifications. Summary statement is an overview of your resume, therefore it should be crisp, concise and to the point, in no more than 2-4 lines.
An Exhibition and Event Project Assistant with over 7 years of industry experience and the ability to perform well under pressure and proactively manage deadlines. Contributed towards organising high budget events of about HK$ 1 million. Possess strong networking and communication skills.
Emphasize on essential points in Work Experience
- Ensure that your resume is well-structured to grab the attention of the hiring manager. A strong resume is a powerful tool to convince prospective employers that you possess the skills required to successfully perform the listed job. Ensure that there are no grammatical and spelling errors in your resume.
- Highlight your relevant skills and experience that match with the position requirements. Make sure you use the key words from the job description. Use action words and give quantified achievements, if possible. For example: Effectively managed customer relationships resulting in increased brand equity by 35%.
- Emphasize your experience in the pre-event arrangement, logistics coordination and on-site supervision; liaising with vendors/ suppliers for providing high quality goods or services; developing long-term relationship between the company and vendors/ suppliers; reporting about the status of on-going project.
- Focus on your experience and the ability to get events planned and executed successfully. If you do not have much experience, think through and assess activities you may have participated in school or at university level like organising fairs, competitions, and exhibitions etc., that could be relevant for the job of Exhibition and Event Assistant.
ABC Exhibition and Events Organisation, Hong Kong
Exhibition & Event Project Assistant, August, 2016 – February, 2019
XYZ Events Company, Hong Kong
Event Project Assistant, February, 2013 – July, 2016
OPQ History Centre Ltd., Hong Kong
Trainee- Exhibition Project Assistant, January, 2012 – January, 2013
- The important skills for this role are resilience, adaptability, time management, self-motivation, strong organisation, interpersonal, problem solving, listening skills, attention to details, and excellent communication skills with the ability to work independently and converse freely with people to explain ideas and plans.
- Proficiency in MS Office programs and a knowledge of variety of digital platforms including Adobe Photoshop, AutoCAD, SketchUp etc., is preferred.
Proficient in MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel, Social Media, Photo Shop, and Chinese Typing
- A bachelor’s degree in hospitality, communications, public relations or a related field is typically required to begin a career as an Exhibition and Event Project Assistant. Candidates can also obtain various professional certifications throughout their career for professional development.
Bachelor of Science, Hospitality Management
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong