Position Summary – Social Worker
Social workers provide support and services to needy, underprivileged and disadvantaged people of society including individuals, groups, families, and communities etc. Their job may involve liaising and networking with partner organizations, corporates, government departments, NGOs, and other institutions. Additionally, the role also includes counselling the needy to overcome their social, medical, emotional or physiological hardships and improve their circumstances.
The duties of social workers may vary widely depending on their role and the segment of population they serve. The role generally requires understanding of human behaviour, social welfare policies, and research methods along with tolerance for intense situations.
Social workers are hired by a variety of institutions including philanthropic organisations, local authorities, schools, universities, libraries, Government organisations, hospitals and healthcare services, community organisations to name a few.
Looking for a Social Worker job? Click here!
Tips To Write CV For The Position
Below are some tips for writing a CV of Social Worker
Career Summary/ Objective
- Include the most important and attractive aspects of your profile in alignment with the job description. Mention if you are a registered social worker or possess any certification that stand you apart, in addition to sharing a couple of your most relevant key skills and achievements.
A self-motivated, well-qualified, and registered Social Worker with 3 years of experience in working with government agencies and NGOs. Identified social requirements of over 100 beneficiary families through effective psychological assessment and provided timely support to rehabilitate and enhance their quality of living.
Emphasize on essential points in Work Experience
- Customize your CV according to the requirements for the job to which you are applying. Highlight your volunteer and other work experience in the relevant social sphere, such as experience in health services, education, or working with deprived communities.
- Focus on your abilities such as empathy, networking, handling stress, time management etc. which enabled you to successfully handle challenging situations, deliver results, and deal with multiple clients. Begin statements using action verbs and quantify your achievements to make them convincing.
- Share your expertise in working with diverse groups of people and nurturing healthy and productive relationships with clients and co-workers.
- Match your CV with the job description and ensure that you incorporate the important terminology to get past the Applicant Tracking System (ATS). But, make sure that you do not copy paste statements from the job specification.
Use a professional format and fit your CV in maximum two pages. Avoid repetition of information, spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.
DE Council, Hong Kong
Social Worker- Mental Health, January, 2019 – February, 2020
AB Foundation Trust, Hong Kong
Social Worker- Mental Health, November, 2017 – December, 2018
XY Clinic, Hong Kong
Volunteer Social Worker, January, 2017 – October, 2017
- Stress management; tolerance to people of different nationalities and beliefs; High level of responsibility; flexibility with irregular working hours; quick thinking and ability to make decisions under stress; organization and networking skills; self- motivation with resilience and determination to help clients; compassion; good listening skills; strong verbal and written communication are some of the vital key skills for social workers.
Software and Other Technical Skills
- Proficiency in MS Work, Excel and PowerPoint
Hands on experience in database entry, MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- A bachelor’s degree in social work or related field is often required by most organizations. However, some employers may prefer master’s degree in Social Work (MSW) with specialization in a particular practice and registered/ certified/licensed candidates
Bachelor of Social Work
The University of Hong Kong
CV Sample for Social Worker:
Increase your chances of getting hired. Create a jobsDB profile
Increase your chances of getting hired. Update your jobsDB profile