Position Summary- Merchandiser
Merchandisers are in charge of delivery and distribution of products in a range of stores located in the geographic location they are responsible for. They work in coordination with suppliers and manufacturers to ensure proper promotion of products and services to increase sales. They maintain balance between customers’ expectations and company’s financial goals while ensuring that right Merchandise (styles, brands, colours, sizes etc.), reach the right store (depending on its budget and location), at the right time or season (when it is in demand), in right quantities and at the competitive price to attract customers. They work closely with the buying teams to forecast trends, plan stock levels and monitor performance. While the buyers select the stocks, the merchandisers fix prices and make decisions regarding budget, quantity, and variety of stocks. In small organisations, a single person may be carrying out both merchandising and buying activities.
The role involves analysing past sales figures and trends throughout the season to anticipate future product needs followed by devising a merchandise plan and a contract for the suppliers taking into account quality control, accuracy, and flexibility. Merchandisers make sure that the correct mix of products is stocked and displayed to maximise sales and profits. They ensure proper monitoring and availability of stock by liaising with buying and store operations teams, as well as discontinue unpopular products and increase stocks of fast-selling products.
The role is primarily office based but can require some amount of travel, and occasional working over the weekends, late evenings especially when planning to open new chain stores. Typical employers of merchandisers are Large retail outlets, Department stores, Mail order firms, Internet retailers, and Wholesalers.
Tips To Write CV For The Position
Below are some tips for writing a CV of Merchandiser
- Write a concrete summary statement in 2-4 lines on top of your resume. Include your job title, years of experience besides focusing on quantified achievements, key skills, and strongest qualifications or certifications. Use similar language, as the job description of the listed position, to summarize how your career history and areas of expertise can add value to the hiring company.
A result oriented Merchandiser with business acumen and over 10 years of experience across retail industry including Fashion and Home Goods. With proven track record in increasing sales and maximising profits year on year, successfully managed a chain of luxury department stores with a budget of over HK$500 million.
Emphasize on essential points in Work Experience
- Refer to the job description and highlight the skills and experience that will intrigue the potential employer. Include your professional honors, accomplishments, awards and commendations besides any difficult projects and outstanding successes to make your profile stand out.
- Quantify your Achievements and use Action Words. Highlight experience and share statistics, if possible, where you have analysed data, identified trends, potential risks and opportunities. For example: Reconciled a complicated cash transaction, saving the company from a loss of HK$1 million.
- Focus on how your communication skills helped you to efficiently deal with internal teams, stakeholders, vendors, and stores etc., as well as show your understanding of the market place, competitors, customers’ needs, and economic trends in general.
- Draw attention to how you have used quick thinking to spot trends and turned things around to meet deadlines. It will be helpful to share numbers where you have evaluated large amounts of data. For example: Over achieved targets of HK$ 1.5 million in 1 day for company’s biggest sale, by providing excellent customer services and using effective selling techniques.
- If you do not have significant working experience, list your relevant experience in volunteer work, education or extracurricular activities, and emphasize the skills and abilities it has taught you that are directly related to the listed position.
Luxury Department Store, Hong Kong
Merchandiser, August, 2016 – February, 2019
XYZ Retail Company, Hong Kong
Merchandiser, February, 2013 – July, 2016
OPQ Retail Chain, Hong Kong
Merchandiser, January, 2009 – January, 2013
- Key skills required for the role of a merchandiser are analytical skills, sound decision making, strategic planning, business acumen, time management, resilience under pressure, computer literacy, commercial awareness, negotiation, and communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office, social media, and hands on experience of reporting system such as EPOS, to analyse data, trends, and figures, is advantageous.
Proficient in MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel, Social Media, and hands-on experience in EPOS
- A Bachelor degree in retail management, maths, statistics, finance, business studies, geography or equivalent in related field may be required along with some years of relevant industry experience.
Professional Diploma in Marketing and Retail Management
HKMA, Hong Kong
BBA (Hons), Marketing
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong