If you live and breathe research, love working with people, and thrive on applying insights to influence product design and strategy, we have an exciting opportunity for you. This is a highly influential role working with senior leaders to shape our customer value proposition and inform strategic opportunities.
Organisationally, our primary research spans formative to evaluative, using approaches such as in-depth interviews, quantitative surveys, diary studies and contextual inquiries. We are looking for individuals with both Qualitative and Quantitative research background with a focus on Qualitative. Our work is embedded in:
Reporting into the APAC Design team and based in Kuala Lumpur, the Lead UX Researcher will be responsible for the end to end of managing end to end Qual and Quant research projects to support the Product and Design team, occasionally collaborating with other teams such as Strategy, Marketing, GTM and Customer Excellence. S/he will be responsible for leading the planning, scoping, designing, conducting, facilitating, synthesising and reporting of the research work projects, in collaboration with business partners from the above mentioned teams.
- Generative research to identify new opportunities across our marketplace and in specific domains.
- Evaluative research to validate existing product concepts and functions and undertake usability studies.
Additionally, the person in this role must work through a well-planned long-tail of research findings and insights by collaborating with the team members that will work with the outcomes and recommendations from the research – typically Product Managers and UX Designers. They would provide continued insight, meaning, and reference to the research findings to shape and influence the product roadmap, and solutions to define the user experience based on their in-depth knowledge of user needs and expectations. S/he will sift through and find meaning in research data to identify patterns in behaviour and continuously workshop these with Product teams through planning and prioritisation of roadmaps, OKRs, and strategic initiatives.
You’ll be working on unique Asian and APAC labour market opportunities, supported by a management team that values great user experience. Product, design and research are critical functions at SEEK. We are one of the largest and fastest-growing Product teams in Malaysia.
- Lead and deliver end-to-end research
- Plan research programs and activities keeping key stakeholders and business partners included in the prioritisation and scoping
- Design research programs and activities in full detail including sampling, methodology, logistics, while being supported by our research ops and administration team members
- Conduct and facilitate in depth interview sessions and other forms of qual and quant research
- Conduct research synthesis, analysis, compile reports and presentations of findings to enrich our understanding of our users (current and future), their needs and the opportunity this uncovers for our products.
- Create artefacts to bring your research to life where meaningful and relevant eg. personas, customer journeys, value proposition statements and JTBD frameworks.
- Present, share and amplify the findings and recommendations out of research with business partners
- Nudge and facilitate long tail activities of the research analysis and findings - participate in product visioning workshops, and design reviews with cross-functional teams to ensure that findings and insights are translated into actionable product goals and direction.
- Key research focus is on digital experiences, may potentially evolve over time to include offline end-to-end user experiences with a service design approach.
- Researching / trialing new research tools to improve research practices and work efficiencies.
- Collaborate with our Product Delivery, Product Design, Data Insights, Marketing, Sales and Strategy teams to identify areas of improvement and feature development.
- Manage language translation activities as required for research projects (eg. discussion guide, surveys) in accordance with our established translation workflows with internal specialists and/or vendors.
- Collaborate with other UX Research team members to forward the research practice at SEEK by working on quarterly team initiatives.
- Willing to travel to countries within Asia, and Australia.
Play a supporting role:
- Assist Research Ops by contributing ideas and solutions to tooling and operations
- Support other Researchers and UX Designers by providing coaching and feedback on their research work.
The above list is not intended to be definitive, but more as an indication of the tasks for which you will be responsible.
So, what we are looking for:
- Minimum 6 years of qualitative research experience with a broad range of research methodologies to uncover user needs and product opportunities (usability studies, interviews, site visits, surveys, card sorting, etc.), along with the knowledge of when and why to apply them.
- Proven ability to work within constraints and shifting schedules and priorities. Good time-management and prioritisation skills. Proven experience managing research budgets.
- You’ve got an inquisitive mind, natural empathy for users, and you love translating fuzzy research questions into a clear research plan
- You’re thought leader in the domain of research. A pattern finder and holistic thinker. Able to create a richer understanding of what’s meaningful to our customers and work with concepts driven by current trends and desired business outcomes.
- You have the ability to share and evangelise research findings in a clear and compelling way to diverse audiences including executives
- Generate insights that shape how product teams think about medium and long-term product strategy
- Familiarity with online industry best practices in User Research, particularly working in an environment of Lean UX, Agile research techniques, accessibility, usability and design
- Degree in Psychology, Cognitive Science, Human Factors, Anthropology, Human-Computer Interaction, Design, a related field - or equivalent experience.
- Experience in related disciplines and skills is beneficial eg. UX metrics, human factors, competitor analysis, workshop design and facilitation.
- You’re a team player. You’re a natural collaborator and enjoy bringing teams along with you in discovery and analysis
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to influence and drive change. Ability to create compelling presentations and confidently convey insights through storytelling.
- Self-motivated and execution-oriented. Ability to execute at a high level of quality in a fast-paced, complex environment.
- The ability to thrive in a collaborative, creative environment. You are comfortable with ambiguity, enjoy crafting your own research questions, and are capable of identifying the right methodology for the study at hand.
- You are curious. You have great interest in people and how they behave. Ability to probe for meaning in user interviews, must be comfortable having conversation with people and search for behavioural patterns
- Relentless drive to get stuff done. A hands-on problem solver, you persevere when others fall away. You do whatever it takes to generate and present meaningful insights - trawl research recordings and help with translation as needed
Any combination of these qualities would make your application stand out (but aren’t required)
- You’ve directed complex international research at scale—from iterative testing to unmoderated card sorts to in-context interviews to diary studies.
- Workshop planning and facilitation experience.
- You can speak multiple Asian languages (example Bahasa Malaysia, English, Tamil, Mandarin/Cantonese, Tagalog, Bahasa Indonesia and Thai).
- Believed in aiming high to deliver world-class results and yet, not forgetting to care for others