The Planner function sits within the global Digital Advertising Operations team managed from London. You will be part of the Hong Kong based Commercial team, working closely with Sales, Campaign Managers, Marketers and Project Managers. The key goal for the Commercial team is to deliver revenue whilst building deep and lasting relationships with advertisers.
You will bring value to clients located in Asia through detailed campaign and client planning, providing targeting recommendations (using in-house developed analytics), pro-actively offering guidance on optimisation opportunities and analysing campaign effectiveness.
This role is closely linked with other areas of the Digital Advertising Operations department which has a culture of working collaboratively and supporting one another. Your core remit will be Planning, but on occasions your role will cross over with other functions. You need an understanding of marketing, in case you need to support your colleagues and run content campaigns. Similarly, you will be expected to have experience working with an adserver, in order to support campaign management.
Purpose of the Role
The purpose of the role is to provide campaign planning, optimisation and reporting for key clients to ensure lasting relationships leading to increased revenues. You will work across both display and content campaigns.
You will create value for clients by bringing together data and campaign insight to improve performance. Through a thorough understanding of the brief combined with analysis of prior campaigns and the advertiser sector, you will present the most suitable targeting for the display part of the activity. When working on content deals, you will identify trending topics, which the target audience will engage with. It is your responsibility to work with the Campaign Management team to monitor campaigns, suggest optimisation opportunities and to provide reporting that is clear and insightful back to advertisers and agencies.
You will seek to introduce automated dashboards and look for solutions to ensure rapid availability of key data points and benchmarks. This will help serve all clients, while being able to dedicate more time to providing a higher level of service to key accounts.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Through a strong understanding of inventory, products and what performs for different types of advertising campaigns, provide guidance to the Sales team to ensure that briefs are responded to using a detailed understanding of audience, targeting opportunities, the correct FT products and available inventory. Your work should allow Sales to offer a partnership based sale knowing that what is being offered will work for the client and their goals
- You should fully understand our product set so as to ensure your guidance to Sales as to how to structure their response is accurate and takes into account any expectation management that is required whilst ensuring campaign set up can be easily achieved
- Work with Campaign Management to optimise campaigns on an ongoing basis against a range of metrics to ensure the campaign meets targets. This may include branding uplift, viewed ads, engaged time, audience reach or even metrics being used by advertisers
- Provide post-campaign analysis using a range of tools available in house to measure the success of a campaign and seek opportunities for renewal and up-sell
- Get a good understanding of our DMP in order to segment audiences, extend the reach of the campaign by spotting segment overlaps and to re-target users who engage with the brand
- Continually seek out ways to present data in an engaging format
- Maintain a good understanding of the data available to purchase in the marketplace and how to position FT’s own data appropriately
- Focus on client outcomes as that go beyond standard KPIs
- Working with a wide range of teams within the Commercial department, put focus on building and maintaining good relationships with all
- Look for solutions offering rapid availability of key data points and benchmarks
- Ensure that the brief for a campaign is fully understood asking questions as needed to both the advertiser and agency
- You will need to understand the broader aspects of the campaign and how FT fits into the bigger picture so as to frame the response correctly and spot opportunities for taking a larger proportion of spend
- Research and understand the overlaps between targeting segments and the impact on inventory. Through this analysis ensure that our high value inventory is fully utilised
- Where appropriate, suggest programmatic as a delivery method with a view to increasing total spend from advertisers
- Shape orders to ensure that the trafficking workflow is as slick as possible, that orders conform to SLA standards and provide opportunities for optimisation
During the campaign
- Work closely with the Campaign Management team ensuring that you understand the current position of your campaigns at any point in time
- Pro-actively look to suggest optimisations for key clients
- In your report relate back to the initial conversations with the client and Sales to make sure that your analysis is relevant
- Go beyond just presenting the data and instead, spot trends and build narrative that brings value to the client. Try to always answer the question ‘What does this mean to the advertiser?’ or more simply “so what?”
- Accompany Sales to agency/client meetings, where appropriate, to present the results
Qualifications / Competencies / Skills / Experience
- It is important that you can demonstrate analysis and reporting skills and are able to translate the analysis into engaging presentations and reports
- You need to have been exposed to an adserver and understand how it works, as well as what its limitations are
- You have a strong awareness of digital advertising services across desktop and mobile sites
- Sound knowledge of digital inventory trading principles both direct and programmatic
- An understanding of advertiser metrics and how to plan campaigns to meet agreed goals
- Demonstrable experience of being able to prioritise workload, to work to agreed schedules and to respond in a timely manner as required
- You need to be an excellent communicator who can build strong working relationships both internally and externally
- Presentation skills are a must
- Questioning skills are essential to understand the brief
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent analytical skills both for reporting and campaign optimisation
- You are execution focused and have a proven record of success in complex environments.
- You are proactive and look to seek out the opportunities rather than waiting to be asked
- Have a strong personal interest in the news media and advertising, relishing the chance to help build the future of one of the great global brands in media
- The role requires a confident personality
- You work in a collaborative manner and actively seek to improve
- Team culture
- All teams work towards the same goal and we are all part of the same Commercial team
- Campaigns can always be made to be more efficient
- Revenue can always be grown at increasing rates
- New products and ideas are worth testing
- Advertisers should feel that FT provides the best campaign reporting and insight