Sharks Restoring the Balance, is WWF’s global initiative to conserve sharks and rays. Spanning more than 15 countries, the initiative tackles the shark crisis through three strategies: Responsible Consumption, Responsible Trade and Responsible Management.
A small core team, headed up by the Initiative Leader based in Hong Kong, supports our country offices collaborating on the initiative by providing strategic direction, practical tools and other capacity building activities, fundraising and communications support.
This is a new post ( part-time up to four days a week on a one year contract ) to be based in Hong Kong working closely with the Sharks ; Restoring the Balance Leader to develop and manage agencies delivery of campaign materials and content that shares successes , innovation and personal stories from the field to raise the profile of the largest global shark conservation programme that delivers the conservation successes needed to reverse the decline in shark and ray populations.
Communications will be primarily external, but there is also a need to keep WWF Oceans and Wildlife communities, up to date and excited about the Global Shark initiative, and to create synergies across offices and partners, including TRAFFIC, the wildlife trade organisation on Restoring the Balance, and other founding partners of the Global Shark & Ray Initiative.
This is an opportunity to manage a portfolio of communications tools and products (both online and offline) coordinating campaign efforts designed to reach, engage and mobilize the general public or specific target audiences.
Content and Media Production
- Facilitate in house production of short video and other assets , particularly for social media
- Work with field teams to create and develop the website content of https://sharks.panda.org
- Co-ordinate content updates producing media and social media and preparing brochures , position papers, FAQ and factsheets
- Improve WWF’s shared library of Sharks and Ray images and video (the ‘Hive’)
- Preparing and editing funding proposals, PowerPoint decks to make them more compelling propositions
Co-ordination,analytics and budgets
- Coordinate with WWF Hong Kong , Regional and global communications on shark campaigns
- Ensure each shark campaign/programme is brand-aligned, has adequate media coverage and is appropriately conveyed through WWF’s owned digital channels.
- Co-ordinate with external media agencies’ and report progress on deliverable.
- Keep track of communications KPIs and social media analytics / listening
- Look for collaborations and shared collateral that can be adapted to local use.
- Manage a dedicated communications budget and seek opportunities for additional funding.
- Degree holder in Communications, Journalism, Marketing or related disciplines
- A minimum of 5 years relevant working experience
- Good organizational and project management skills
- Proficient in computer skills, including Microsoft Office
- Experience is developing social media assets and approaches (directly and/or with agencies)
- Excellent command of both written and spoken English, and preferably a second language
- Able to grasp complex scientific/conservation issues and translate them into simple and accessible communication messages for varied target audiences
- Proven experience in developing and implementing successful public campaigns strongly preferred. Previous experience and a personal passion for ocean, or broader environmental issues preferred.
- Interested in current affairs & understand local conservation issues
- Ability to multi-task
Required Behavioural Skills:
- A good team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good attention to detail with excellent analytical skills
- Passionate, determined, able to work independently when necessary and with strong problem-solving capability
- Flexible, open-minded and comfortable with changing work environments
We offer a 3 or 4 day work week and competitive compensation and benefits packages to the right candidate. The office location of this post is at our Kwai Hing office.
Applications would be considered until the post is filled.
(All information provided will be used for recruitment-related purpose only. Applicants who do not hear from us within six weeks may consider their applications unsuccessful. It is our policy to retain the personal data of unsuccessful applicants for future recruitment purposes for a period of six months.)